Friday, January 7, 2011

Paper Wrapped Chicken (Chee Pao Kai)

Paper Wrapped Chicken aka Chee Pao Kai


 
Paper Wrapped Chicken known as "Chee Pao Kai" in cantonese, it is a very popular appetizer and can be found at the restaurant when you go for dim sum. My parents used to own a dim sum stall when i was young and i still remember i can eat up to 2-3 paper wrapped chicken at one go. I always see my mom marinating the chicken until now. I can still picture how she did it. Those were the days!!! I'm not a small girl anymore and I'm now at middle age and a mother of four. Next time, i think my kids will say the same thing and well, this is the circle of life. Today I want to have the taste and feeling of my childhood and I hope I will not let my mom down. This is not a difficult dish as you only need to marinate chicken and wrap them in packets and deep-fry them. I hope you will like it.

Ingredients :
6 Drumsticks/wings or (Half chicken cut into 6 pieces)
11/2 Teaspoon 5 spices powder (ng hiong fun)
4 Shallot bulbs (peeled & slices)
2 Teaspoon Light Soy Sauce
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Oyster
1/2 Teaspoon of Pepper Powder
2 Sheets Of Parchment Paper Or Wax paper (for wrapping)

* Mix 1/2 teaspoon hot water in 1 teaspoon wheat starch,combined (this is to glue the paper)

Method :
Cut and wash chicken,wipe chicken well with damp paper towels. Put all the ingredients in the
chicken and marinate for 1/2 and hour or more (the longer you marinate, the more flavor it will
have,i sometimes marinate it overnight)

Cut the paper to squares,big enough to wrap the chicken. Wrap the chicken in envelope form (don't
wrap in the shallot,it is only for marinade) and seal it with some glue.

Heat the wok with oil, hot enough for deep-fry approximately 2 quarts and when it is hot, slide in the paper chicken package to fry and turn the heat to medium. Fry the paper chicken for 3-5 minutes
or until cooked. Drain on a colander or a paper towel. Serve while it is hot.

No comments: