Thursday, March 3, 2011

Springy Deep Fried Fish Ball

I am a fish ball lover, I keep a lot of different types of varieties of fish balls in my fridge. Easily you can find three to five packs of fish balls in my fridge. Some people make fish balls using the market brought fish paste, as for myself I prefer to make my own fish paste at home so that no preserved ingredients is added into the fish paste. Homemade fish paste can make springy and smooth fish balls and fish cakes.

I want to say this is my Dad's recipe, I still remember years ago he taught me how to make springy fish balls. My Dad now is 87 years old, he can't cook anymore but he is still able to give me a lot of cooking tips. My parents are very experienced when it comes to making fish paste, I am their daughter, eventually will learned some of their techniques. I hope I won't let my parents down cause I am their daughter, I have their genes. LOL
A basic tip to make a delicious fish cake is you need a fresh white fish and with firm meat like king fish and mackerel. 
Springy Deep Fried Fish Ball
   Ingredients    :

   300 gm           fish paste homemade-fish paste recipe
   1                     red chili, thinly slice
   1                     dried peeled citrus skin, soak and thinly slice
   1                     teaspoon salt
   1/2                  teaspoon sugar
   1/2                  teaspoon pepper powder
   1                     teaspoon fish sauce
   Oil to fry the fish ball


   Method   :

    Place the fish paste in a mixing bowl and mix with all the ingredients.

    Prepare a bowl, pour in 1 cup of water and add 1 teaspoon salt, set aside.

    Grease hands with oil and take a lump of fish paste, squeeze out the fish paste in between the thumb
    and index finger and form a ball.

    Use a metal spoon to scoop out the fish ball and drop it into the salt water. Leave it soak for 20 
    minutes.

    Steam the fish balls in a grease plate for 15 - 18 minutes. Leave it to cool.

    Heat up the wok with oil and deep fry the fish balls until golden brown.

    Remove from wok and serve it with chili sauce and garnish with some cilantro.



     Enjoy!!!
   
  
Springy Deep Fried Fish Ball

No comments: